Triangle Pump offers plungers made from the highest quality materials to serve pump applications in a broad range of industries. Despite our superior manufacturing and assembly processes at Triangle, proper plunger installation is critical to maintaining the system’s overall operating efficiency.
To ensure the safe and correct installation of your pump plunger, follow along with these steps:
- Before beginning the installation, familiarize yourself with all federal and state safety and environmental regulations.
- As a safety precaution, make sure the pump’s power source is completely turned off, locked out, and tagged before starting.
- Remove the old plunger and packing from the stuffing box to thoroughly clean and inspect the box and sealing surfaces. Do not leave any old packing remnants.
- Install the new packing per the manufacturer’s instructions, making sure to inspect and replace any worn throat bushings, lantern rings, or junk rings as necessary.
- Lubricate the new plunger and insert it into the packing. Be careful not to damage the plunger’s exterior surface during installation.
- Connect the new plunger to the extension rod or crosshead.
- Turn the pump over by hand to make sure the plunger and packing are properly aligned.
- Tighten the packing according to the pump manufacturer’s instructions and start the pump to check operation. Make sure the packing is not leaking, although it is normal for it to drip small amounts of fluid.
If you have any questions about proper plunger installation, contact Triangle Pump today»
If you are experiencing pumping issues and need help troubleshooting the problem click here»